Find the best way to get rid of gas pain in dogs and what are the causes of gases in dogs. Learn what are the signs and symptoms of gases and ways to prevent gas pain in dogs.
The gas in the dog is a common phenomenon and represents a certain danger to health. If gas formation tortures the pet constantly, it is possible, in an animal turn of intestines, displacement of internal organs. If you do not start treatment in time, this problem will lead to serious disruptions in the activity of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, and in severe cases, to a fatal outcome.
Causes of gas pain in dogs
Gases are formed during meals in small quantities and normally go out naturally. However, under the influence of some negative factors accumulate and penetrate into the intestine, this leads to pain in the stomach or flatulence.
Gases in pets can be caused by:
- Intake of air into the stomach from the esophagus, because of fast eating habit.
- An unbalanced diet, a predominance in the menu of food with fiber, a sharp change in feed, overeating, eating hot food can also lead to gases in dogs.
- An allergy to a certain type of food can also lead to pain in the stomach and gas in dogs.
- A worm like helminthic invasion can create problems related to digestion in dogs.
- Abnormal function or some disorder of pancreas can interfere with the proper functioning of digestive system.
- Inflammatory diseases in the gastrointestinal tract can lead to gases and pain related to gas.
- Constipation in dog can lead to gas.
- Improper function and pathologies of the liver and other internal organs, can disturb the normal functioning of digestive system.
- Many infectious diseases can also lead to gas pain in dogs.
- Sedentary lifestyle, low physical activity can also lead to many problems in dog including digestive problems.
If the dog is suffering from gas pain, then there are chances of collecting gas in the intestines which can cause intoxication. There is an assimilation of harmful products and toxins, which with blood streams enter the body.
Determining gases in a dog is not difficult. An animal has rumbling, abdominal cramps, pain syndrome. The number of defecations increases, while mucus and blood are noticeable in the feces. Often there is vomiting and, as a consequence, dehydration. There is a depletion of the body.
The dog loses weight, while the stomach remains swollen and tight, painful on palpation.
Symptoms of gas in dogs
Gases associated with pathological phenomena is accompanied by a number of other signs, so identifying them and calling a doctor will speed up the solution of the problem.
In this situation, observation is also necessary. In this case, you should pay attention to:
- Infectious processes are always accompanied by an increase in temperature in the body of the dog. Sometimes it is possible not to catch a high indicator of the thermometer since feverish phenomena manifest themselves by a sharp rise and fall in temperature, so the measurement must be conducted several times.
- Watch for the amount of food intake, that is, dog suffer from decrease in appetite (especially distortion of appetite) amount of food eaten.
- Change in form of fecal masses (dense, liquid, formed or not).
- Presence of foreign inclusions, such as mucus, blood, helminths or their segments.
- Amount of fecal matter.
- Change in the frequency allocation of fecal matter.
- vomiting and the urge to vomit.
Get rid of gas pain in dogs
To make the correct diagnosis and treatment of gas pain in the dog, in addition to getting acquainted with the history of the disease and inspection of the animal, the veterinarian conducts the necessary diagnostic studies. These include:
- General and biochemical analysis of blood, to establish a possible inflammatory process in the intestine.
- Stool analysis, for detection of undigested proteins and fats and exclusion of intestinal invasion.
- X-ray with contrast with suspected intestinal obstruction, tumors.
Treatment includes measures aimed at eliminating diseases that caused gases in dog, activation of the gastrointestinal tract, normalization of the intestinal microflora.
To normalize the number of intestinal microorganisms, the use of probiotics is indicated, the dosage depends on the individual characteristics of the dog’s, the severity of the condition.
To activate the proper functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, conservative treatment is used. It includes the intake of enzyme preparations, as well as drugs that normalize the process of digestion in general and the production of enzymes in particular.
To eliminate bloating, the dog is washed with a probe through which sorbents are introduced. If the condition of the animal is very difficult, it is advisable to pierce the abdominal cavity with a needle through which the accumulated gas exits.
To reduce the pressure in the abdominal cavity, carminative drugs are used.
After the removal of gases from the digestive system, to normalize the microflora, useful bacteria are introduced into the intestines, which are contained in probiotics, natural yogurts.
Prevention of gas pain in dogs
You can prevent stomach gas pain in your dog using the following technique:
- Remove from the diet legumes, cabbage and other products that your pet poorly digests.
- Put a dog bowl higher while feeding him.
- Dry food can be soaked with water 15-20 minutes before meals.
- Make sure that the animal moves sufficiently, that is, the dog needs to maintain enough physical activity (this facilitates a better exit of gases from the intestine).
- You should regularly conduct deworming of the pet.
Gases do not threaten health, but indicates a problem in the work of the gastrointestinal tract of the dog. If your pet often emits gases, and suffer from pain contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. It will help to identify the root cause and helps to eliminate it.
Nutrition of dogs with gas pain
In the period of treatment and recovery, correct feeding is essential. It is advisable to include in the diet food that has the ability to gently envelop the walls of the stomach and create a protective barrier against the influence of negative factors. Very useful in this regard are flax seeds, rice porridge on water or liquid broth.
The healing property is a decoction of chamomile, which has an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effect and has a beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal tract. However, not every dog wants to drink medicinal infusion. In this case, you can enter the broth with a syringe or add to liquid food (one tablespoon per day).
The nutrition of the dog should be fractional in 4 – 6 times a day so that there is no overeating, the volume of servings is reduced. It is important that the dog carefully chews the food and does not swallow it whole. Place the bowl on the level of the animal’s head. From the diet, exclude milk, fish, legumes, porridges (except rice and buckwheat), goodies, dry food.
For the dog to recover quickly, the walking and physical activity should be increased. While walking the dog, let the owner see that the pet does not eat spoiled food.
A certain amount of intestinal gas is a normal part of the digestive process. However, if the gas is formed constantly or is accompanied by other symptoms, such as stomach pain, diarrhea, weight loss, blood or mucus in the stool, there may be a problem in the digestive tract.
Elevated flatulence is often a sign of parasites. In addition, stomach pain can be caused by inflammation of the intestine. If the gas pain is serious it does not go away within a day or two, you should call the veterinarian. This is especially important for cats since they are generally prone to gas pain to a much lesser extent than dogs.
With stable bowel gas pain in a dog cannot be delayed with a visit to the doctor. Timely identification of the cause and the appointment of qualified treatment will help to quickly solve the problem.