Find the most common signs and symptoms of cancer in dogs. Cancer if early diagnosed can be treated more effectively, but to early diagnose you have to observe the behavior of your dog.
This deadly disease does not spare us or our pets. Cancer, one of the most dangerous diseases, has been increasingly common in dogs recently. The reason for this is poor ecology, poor diet and poor heredity in our four-legged friends.
However, whatever the cause of the diseases, the owner has a chance to prolong the life of the animal if the ailment is seen on time. Unfortunately, cancer is a very insidious disease. Often, it proceeds secretly and does not assert itself until it is too late to treat. However, there are some signs that can make it clear to the owner that something is wrong with the dog. Separately, they may not mean anything serious, but if you notice a few symptoms from your pet at once, do not hesitate to show it to the veterinarian.
Cancer in dogs
In fact, the disease that affects our four-legged pets, no different from human pathology. First of all, it is worth knowing that cancer is a non-contagious disease that occurs at the DNA level. In one or more cells mutations arise, due to which cells “forget” their duties and begin to share uncontrollably. Gradually they fill the entire organ, forming a tumor, and penetrate further, forming metastases throughout the body.
Cancer cells not only allow the body to work properly but also squeeze neighboring tissues, depressing their functioning. By stopping, the cancer cells decompose, causing necrosis, internal bleeding, the formation of fistulas and other non-healing areas.
Most often, cancer cells are formed in older dogs, but recently they increasingly diagnose oncology in very young animals.
10 Signs and Symptoms of Cancer in Dogs
Despite the fact that the pathology is quite serious, most of the cancers can be cured or remitted to a state of remission, a period when the tumor stops growing and does not bother the animal. The chances for this are high if an oncological disease is detected at an early stage. Of course, it’s better to diagnose and prescribe a treatment, it’s better if it’s a veterinarian-oncologist and not an ordinary general practitioner. But be able to recognize the first signs of cancer and immediately seek medical attention should still be the owner. You, like no one else, know your four-legged friend and better than any analyzes are able to notice that something is going wrong with him.
Here are signs and symptoms of cancer in dogs:
- Laziness, drowsiness in the dog: Have you noticed that your restless pet spends more and more time in a daze? Refusal of usual physical activity and laziness is one of the most widespread reasons of a canine indisposition. It is possible that everything is not so terrible, and your pet will find a banal avitaminosis or low hemoglobin, but to be sure, noticing the drowsiness of the animal and consult a vet.
- Subcutaneous neoplasm: Regularly inspect the dog for various tubercles under the skin. Especially relevant are such examinations for long-haired dogs. Most often, neoplasms appear on the muzzle or behind the ears, as well as on the back, shoulder blades or in the mammary glands of the bitches.
- Unpleasant odor from the mouth of the dog: Experienced veterinarians claim that each disease has its own specific flavor. Oncological diseases have the smell of rot. Moreover, the stench is often heard not only from the mouth but also from the nose of the animal.
- Lack of appetite: It is necessary to distinguish simply the reluctance of the dog to eat not very attractive food and a complete refusal of food. In order to find out what’s more, stubbornness or problems, in the unwillingness of your pet is, just offer him a favorite treat. A healthy, ungainly dog will gladly eat the proposed yummy, the sick dog will take food reluctantly or even completely turn the muzzle away.
- Rapid weight loss of dog: The dogs are arranged in such a way that until the last it does not give symptoms of the disease to manifest itself. Perhaps the appetite and activity of your pet remained the same, but you should be alerted that with the usual diet your dog quickly loses weight and looks haggard.
- Heavy breathing and cough: Constant dyspnea and debilitating cough can be signs of lung cancer in dogs. Often such a cough is accompanied by expectoration of mucous or bloody discharge, having an unpleasant odor.
- Pale mucous: The glow of bright pink color is one of the main signs of your dog’s health. The reason that the mucous membranes pale is the loss of blood and a general decrease in immunity in a sick animal. The whiteness of the gums can also be accompanied by bleeding and the formation of small non-healing wounds.
- Regular nausea and vomiting: Vomiting without cause is another common symptom of oncology. This symptom is explained by the general intoxication of the organism, the poisoned vital activity of cancer cells.
- Suddenly, there was lameness: Noticing that the pet during walking protects the leg, be sure to feel the limb. If you have not found any signs of dislocation or fracture, provide the pet with a gentle load regimen and watch it for a week. The usual stretching will take place in a few days. An attentive host should be wary of a long time not passing or returning lameness.
- Slowly healing wounds: The appearance of small rotting sores on the body or scratches that heal longer than usual time are also possible signs of cancer.
Diagnosis of the cancer in dog
In order to notice and defeat the disease in time, it is not enough just to observe the pet. Any change in behavior or physical performance should lead to immediate contact with a vet. The doctor will carefully inspect the animal and, perhaps, notice signs that have escaped even from an attentive master’s gaze.
The second will appoint the necessary tests. First, the standard ones are general and biochemical, and then, if they notice shifts in certain indicators, special ones to identify cancer markers that confirm the presence of cancer cells.
Diagnosis of cancer is a rather complicated process, therefore, in addition to the tests, the doctor will perform a variety of different examinations from ultrasound and fluorography to gastroscopy and MRI. If you suspect a breast cancer, the doctor will ask you to undergo a mammogram a special chest x-ray showing the presence of a cancerous tumor at an early stage.
When the tumor is found, the doctor will take a small piece of tissue (puncture) and send it to the cell analysis. This will help determine a benign or malignant neoplasm, as well as the stage of development of the disease.
Treatment and prevention cancer in dogs
Traditional methods of treatment of a malignant tumor are chemo and radiation therapy. This allows you to destroy cancer cells, preventing them from spreading further. After this, if possible, the tumor is removed, and the animal’s organism is strongly supported by immunostimulants and hepatoprotectors.
In each specific case, the scheme of such treatment is selected individually, which is why it is not necessary to treat the dog with the help of the Internet or advice of neighbors who state that such treatment has helped another animal.
Many owners are interested in whether it is possible to treat a pet with folk methods. Veterinary specialists do not prohibit the use of homeopathy if it is used along with official methods of treatment. The most popular herbal preparations used to arrest tumor growth are the fraction of ASD and special onco collection, consisting of plants that suppress the growth of the tumor. Homeopathic medicines are often used, including toxic components. Most often it is the poison of a tarantula or an extract of poisonous mushrooms. Despite the good reviews about these drugs, we recommend that you do not dare to take them alone without first consulting about the effectiveness and doses with a specialist.
In order to prevent the occurrence of cancer of the uterus and ovaries, as well as the appearance of tumors in the mammary gland, veterinarians advise sterilizing a dog that does not represent a breeding value. Carrying out such an operation before the first estrus reduces the risk of tumors by more than 90%.
One of the preventive measures for cancer can be considered proper nutrition, the active pastime in the open air and, of course, the love of the owner. It has long been noted that a dog that feels comfortable, much less likely to suffer from any disease. The owner must make the life of the pet interesting, full of love, and, if a disaster happens, do everything possible to relieve the suffering.